help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] Problems with C charge ¿?

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Problems with C charge ¿?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:54:13 -0400

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Jesus Genicio wrote:
> The problem is thath the gnucap make analysis without
> "power-on" period, ¿it is ok?.

I understand now.

"uic" completely skips the initial DC analysis, just like
the "uic" option in Spice.  Often it leads to nonsense results,
so I do not recommend it.

The way to see the power on transient is to, like
Jacques said, to adapt your voltage sources.

To see an example of where I did this, look at the example on
our wiki "Phase Shift Oscillator".

http://wiki.gnucap.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=gnucap:phase_shift_oscillator

I used a "pulse" source, but this is not the only way.
The "fit" source that Jacques recommended works too.

That example ultimately measures the oscillating frequency and
distortion of an oscillator.  To get there, it also models the
start-up behavior.  In this case, the oscillator doesn't start
oscillating until about 1 second after power is applied, and
takes over 5 seconds to stabilize, so we wait 10 seconds to
make distortion measurements.