help-gnucap

Re: System level simulation with µC?

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: System level simulation with µC?
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 10:43:59 +0100

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 01:04:56PM +0100, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
> Is it possible to simulate a small mixed analog / digital system that
> contains a microcontroller?
>
> If yes, how could one e.g. integrate uCsim with gnucap? Are there
> existing examples (possibly with other µC simulators)?

Hi Philipp.

I had a cursory look at uCsim. It looks like a (rather complex) program
that simulates instructions in a processor (on RT level?). Is your idea
to connect the i/o ports of that processor to a circuit model?

I believe that there are multiple ways. The "clean" one would be to
implement a component plugin that run uCsim as a subprocess. This needs
to pass over the control to the circuit simulator.

A hackier way would be to connect the two simulators, pass data and
synchronise. Sending and receiving timestamped signals during a
transient simulation is relatively easy with Gnucap. There is an example
here [1]. It may need a rewrite making proper use of discrete events.
First I would try to do a similar thing on the uCsim end.

cheers
felix

[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap/gnucap-plugins.git/log/?h=coupling