help-gnunet

[Help-gnunet] Questions about GNUnet

From: Philipp
Subject: [Help-gnunet] Questions about GNUnet
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 09:18:48 +0200

Hello everyone,
I am currently working on my master's thesis at the University of Ulm. As a part of my thesis, I performed a literature survey on some systems that offer anonymity properties in P2P environments, among them GNUnet.

I would be very grateful for help on some of these topics.

1) In [1], it is mentioned that nodes observe the behavior of neighboring nodes. It also states that a node might pass files (or possbily blocks of a file) to other nodes depending on how trustworthy they seem. Are these trust values derived based on the scheme described in [2]?

2) As far as I understood, files that I want to publish are always placed on my local node and not actively distributed into the network. I can, however, decide whether I want to generate a copy and place it in my local store in encrypted form or whether I just want to create the index and blocks are encrypted "on-the-fly" when requested. In [3], the term "content migration" is used. Are blocks actively pushed to other nodes even without requests on them?

3) https://gnunet.org/file-sharing-concepts mentions a replication level for blocks. What exactly is the purpose for this and how does it affect replication?

4) In the GAP approach described in [4], a peer, say A, can decide to skip the source rewriting step. On the return path, the successor of A needs to communicate directly with the predecessor of A. However, GNUnet uses encrypted links. Does this imply that these nodes need to perform a session key exchange before being able to send the result along the return path?

5) Taking a look at [3] or [4], the network is described as a rather unstructured P2P network. I know also about the DHT based R5N [5] which is a structured approach. How does these two play together in terms of network management? Are there separate routing tables and maintenance protocols?

6) I know R5N is currently used for non-anonymous file sharing. There is not really sender anonymity due to the hop counter that is used to determine when to switch from random to deterministic routing. Furthermore, packets are not intentionally delayed to impede traffic analysis. However, would it be possible to apply similar mechanisms just like in GAP and, e.g., replace the hop counter or use probabilistic behavir to achieve sender anonymity in R5N?

7) Does GNUnet use erasure codes to tolerate the loss of some of the blocks of a file? Or is a file unretrievable if a block is lost?

8) Are there any performance measurements in a scientific publication about GAP or GNUnets anonymous file sharing in general?

[1] Grothoff, Christian, et al. "The gnet whitepaper." Purdue University (2002). [2] Grothoff, Christian. "Resource allocation in peer-to-peer networks: An excess-based economic model." Wirtschaftsinformatik 45.3 (2003): 285-292. [3] Bennett, Krista, et al. "Gnunet-a truly anonymous networking infrastructure." In: Proc. Privacy Enhancing Technologies Workshop (PET. 2002. [4] Bennett, Krista, and Christian Grothoff. "GAP–practical anonymous networking." International Workshop on Privacy Enhancing Technologies. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2003. [5] Evans, Nathan S., and Christian Grothoff. "R5n: Randomized recursive routing for restricted-route networks." Network and System Security (NSS), 2011 5th International Conference on. IEEE, 2011.

Best regards,
Philipp