help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] A few questions..

From: stanz
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] A few questions..
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 20:47:34 +0000

Thanks again N...

> stanz via Help-gnunet transcribed 10K bytes:
> (and hopefully document differences?). I don't
> know what Devuan uses,....

The following init systems are being considered for inclusion in Devuan:

openrc (now available in ASCII - which I'm using now)
sinit
runit
s6
shepherd

> > #2: Where is: "Optional dependencies are listed in Appendix A."
> > stated in: https://gnunet.org/en/install-on-debian9.html
> > Under: "Requirements".

I think that refers to the 'handbook' page? Under:
4.1 Installing dependencies
Titled: The mandatory libraries and applications are..

That's where I started, so I had pkgs pre-installed & ready...that might
have caused some confusion for me.

> > #3: Referencing:
> > https://docs.gnunet.org/handbook/gnunet.html#Installing-GNUnet
> > Section: 4.1 Installing dependencies
> > The mandatory libraries and applications are..
> > Many on 1st list, return:
> > E: Unable to locate package glibc
> > E: Unable to locate package gnutls
> > E: Unable to locate package libltdl
> > E: Unable to locate package libgcrypt
> > E: Unable to locate package libgnurl
> > E: Unable to locate package libextractor
> > and more....
>
> try:
> apt-cache search gnutls

Just ran it...showing:
gnutls-bin, gnutls-doc, some 'libs', python-gnutls, rsyslog-gnutls.
I'm looking for just gnutls (?), very unsure of 'grabbing' other pkgs.

> and so forth, they are listed in the tutorial on the gnunet.org website.
> my recommendation which I did not bother to write into the tutorials so far:
> If it's not provided by apt, you could install pkgsrc (https://pkgsrc.org)
> where I'm maintainer
> of some of the packages (this can be used in addition to apt) and use it to
> install
> for example gnurl.

I'll look into pkgsrc.

> > #4: Are we meant to install the "Texlive" & "Texinfo" packages,
> > for a production version, "testing/usage" install method?
> > #5: Mandatory pkg - 'not' debian repos?
> > Get the Gnurl (libgnurl) Git repository using:
> > git clone git://git.taler.net/gnurl.git
>
> If you do this, please clone a tag. the default branch is not meant
> to be used as-is and does not warrant stability even though it is
> most of the time stable.
>
> > Same with: libmicrohttpd.
> > Thank you for your patience here, I really want to have a working install
> > for
> > users not willing to go thru this process.
> > And I believe, I can get 'dpkg' to gimme a .deb package when done?!!
>
> No, but you could package what's not there or help updating
> existing packages if you want to.

I would want to, but as you can see - I'd need some assistance, till I
get the hang of it.
The official Debian HowTo's, were to 'dry' and advanced for me to proceed
on my own.
Very willing - not so able.

> Speaking as the NetBSD package maintainer for GNUnet,

Thumbs-up to ya!!

> this is something we require help with and I personally see generating .deb's
> without
> providing them to a greater community as not so useful.
> Others will disagree.

>From where I sit right now, I agree.
I'll get thru installing a working gnunet first, and then gather packaging gear,
and see if I can produce .deb's.

-   https://devuan.org/os/init-freedom/