help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: virtual hosting with gnutls-serv?

From: Lasse Kliemann
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: virtual hosting with gnutls-serv?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:16:00 +0200

* Simon Josefsson schreibt:
> "Lasse Kliemann" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > * Simon Josefsson writes:
> >> I searched a little, and found Cherokee:
> >>
> >> http://www.cherokee-project.com/
> >>
> >> There are Debian packages for it, and it seems to be using GnuTLS.
> >>
> >> I don't know if it supports HTTPS virtual hosting.  You could search
> >> the source for 'gnutls_server_name_get'.

 [...]
> > Hydra is next, however the comments on its homepage are not too
> > promising.
>
> Let us know how it works.

'gnutls_server_name_get' occurs once in the source, in a file called
cgi_ssl.c. I do not think that this is what I am looking for. The manual
page does not mention encryption at all.

> Investigating how well mod_gnutls works would also be quite good.  I
> haven't built/tested it because I haven't my own apache build running,
> and I'm not that familiar with apache...  Perhaps you'd like to do
> it. :)

I do not like Apache because of its code size and complexity. In fact, I
got by completely without it until now. I used UCSPI implementations and
the Fnord web server instead. If mod_gnutls was released for production
use by its author, I would take it as a good reason to ditch my aversion
against Apache. But it is not. Even if it works, I will feel uneasy with
it, because its author says that one should not use it if one "truly
cares about making the web server secure".

I wrote to the Cherokee mailing list today desribing my experiences from
yesterday. Maybe something can be done there.

Otherwise I will code my own UCSPI-like implementation some day.

Lasse