help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] Re: OpenPGP certificate verification for TLS connectio

From: Rupert Kittinger-Sereinig
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] Re: OpenPGP certificate verification for TLS connections
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:10:24 +0200

Daniel Kahn Gillmor schrieb:

So what I *really* want is a host key that's signed by the systems'
admin key, and I want to tell my users, or rather my default suer
setup, "if you see a host key that's signed by _that_ key here, and
if you're connecting to hosts in _these_ domains, maybe print a nice
info the first time you see it in an interactive session, but
otherwise assume it's OK".

i'd agree with this, except i'd say "if you see a host key *bound to
the expected User ID* signed by _that_ key..."

This is because the client should be checking not just that the key is
signed by a trusted authority, but that the authority claims it
belongs to the entity the client is connecting to.

It does raise an interesting question of whether the web-of-trust
should be able to accomodate "only trust key X signatures when they're
bound to User IDs of the following form".  This would let you say, for
example, "i trust dkg to identify people/servers within the
fifthhorseman.net domain, but i'd rather not trust his identifications
of anyone else."

Is there a way to represent something like that in the current
web-of-trust architecture?

In principle, this should be easy: keep different keyrings and/or trustdbs for different groups of user ids. whether this is easy to implement with concrete implementations is another question :-)

Rupert

--
Rupert Kittinger-Sereinig <address@hidden>
Krenngasse 32