help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: Beginner's question

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: Beginner's question
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:57:57 +0200

"Rainer Gerhards" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "Rainer Gerhards" <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>> > I will generate a new one and record what I am doing. In the mean
>>  > time, I've also found the sample .pem's inside the tarball (which I
>>  > now downloaded). But, of course, I need to know how to generate the
>>  > required files.
>>  >
>>  > Thanks again for your help, will post shortly...
>>

> umm... it looks like I screwed up yesterday. I "re"-did everything and
> now I don't get the base64 error. I will investigate, but it looks
> like all is well.

The base64 error is pretty general, so any kind of data corruption in
the PEM file would likely trigger it.

>>  No problem.  For example credentials, see also:
>>
>>  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/server.html
>>  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/test-credentials/
>>
>>  Btw, if you are going to make rsylog use gnutls you might want to
>>  download the gnutls tar ball and build it.
>
> I've actually tried with the package that is on the system because I
> do not want rsyslog to depend on anything that's not there by default.
> Being the syslogd and intending to recommend the use of TLS, I must be
> very careful to not pull too much in that's not already there. In
> essence, all of that would need to be present on *every* system and
> that would definitely be a burden. So I thought I stick with the
> default.

Sure.  I was mostly thinking about compiling with debugging symbols, but
on second thought most application programmers probably won't find
gnutls symbols useful anyway...

> BTW: the documentation and samples are really helpful. GnuTLS also
> seems to have (as far as I understand) a very clean API. I struggled a
> while with openssl in the past and GnuTLS is *much* cleaner. Very good
> work :)

Thanks!  Let us know if there is anything we could improve to help
explain something that you get stuck on.  It is easy to go blind in a
project, so input from new users are very valuable.

Btw, please cc the list so that the discussion is archived.

/Simon