help-gnutls

Re: HELP: Client-Server code for anonymous authentication NOT working

From: Patrick Pelletier
Subject: Re: HELP: Client-Server code for anonymous authentication NOT working
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 21:19:10 -0800

This sounds like the same problem I ran into recently.  I saw the exact same behavior when I tried compiling the current version of the example programs against the GnuTLS libraries that came with my operating system.  (GnuTLS 2.8.5 on Ubuntu 10.04.)

I'm assuming my issue (and therefore yours) is that I was running example code that was meant for GnuTLS 3.x against an installed library that was GnuTLS 2.x.  (And, presumably the change in major version indicates an incompatibility, although unfortunately in this case it's a rather subtle one.)

When I installed the examples that were meant for the version of GnuTLS I was actually using (by installing the "gnutls-doc" package on Ubuntu, which put the example source code in /usr/share/doc/gnutls-doc/examples), and compiled them, it worked fine.

(Presumably it would also work to build the latest GnuTLS from source, and then use the latest example code, but that's not the approach I went with, because I wanted to write code that would work with Ubuntu's binary packages.)

In particular, the 3.x example code has the while loop you mentioned, while the 2.x example code does not have the while loop.

(The example anonymous server is ex-anon-serv.c in both the 2.x and 3.x examples, but the anonymous client is called ex-client1.c in 2.x, while it's called ex-anon-client.c in 3.x.)

I hope that helps,

--Patrick