help-gnutls

Re: network transfer performance

From: Michael Cronenworth
Subject: Re: network transfer performance
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 02:12:04 -0500

On 06/15/2012 01:31 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
  There are few things you can do to speed a connection up. But first a
question, is gnutls linked in your system with libgcrypt or libnettle?
The latter provides a 2x performance boost in most algorithms. Now
about your selection of algorithms. Why AES-256 and not 128? If
transfer speed is your only concern ARCFOUR-128 is the cipher with
best performance. You may also use HMAC-MD5 instead of HMAC-SHA1 to
boost speed at the cost of using a borderline algorithm.

Fedora uses libgcrypt. 128-bit vs 256-bit didn't provide any tangible difference in my testing. I'll give all those ciphers a shot and look into using libnettle. Thanks!