help-gnuzilla

Re: push notifications

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: Re: push notifications
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 15:43:23 +0100

Bill—

Thank you for testing this systematically with that push demo.

Bill wrote:
> my initial thought is to find/create a test page which is as
> minimal  as any test page should be - ie: one that does
> not rely on frivolous third-party "contents"

I agree, this seems like the best approach.  I found this [1] which
looks promising as it speaks of web standards.  It does have
JavaScript.  I don't have enough knowledge about the web stack to judge
if it's libre and/or trivial, and if that may be necessary for web
notifications.

[1]: https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html

In any case, if I use this test, it again does not work in icecat with
dom.push.enabled=true (no text appears in the console and there is no
pop-up).

It does work in ungoogled-chromium (text appears in the console and
there is a pop-up).  So a work-around for push services is at hand.

—Marco