help-gnuzilla

Re: Strange change in Icecat.

From: Colby Russell
Subject: Re: Strange change in Icecat.
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 21:56:45 -0600

On 1/5/22 9:57 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The episode whose URL I sent you was last week's, and last week ot
> played the old way.  Yesterday it played the new way.
>
> Can you get an older Icecat and use it to play that same podcast episode?

My first instinct was to check, but you didn't mention which version you
upgraded from.

> I don't know what a bookmarklet is -- could you tell me?

They're essentially user scripts (in the vein of Greasemonkey or
Haketilo), except they tend to be short snippets--short enough to encode
them as a `javascript:` URI and store them in the browser's bookmarks
database.  When you select such a "bookmark", the browser runs the
code snippet in the context the current page, rather than navigating to
new page.

>   > I'm unsure how well it works if the server is configured to look at
>   > referrers on media requests and reject the request if it originates
>   > off-site.
>
> I don't know what that means -- I am lost.

It's not exactly worth explaining if this solution isn't a good match
for the way you work and ultimately won't end up using it (and that
seems to be the case here):

On 1/5/22 9:58 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Cutting and pasting is very inconvenient.

Note that the bookmarklet I described involves cutting and pasting as
part of an even more cumbersome workflow.  VLC is probably better
for you.

> I pass that URL to Icecat from Emacs by running `icecat' with the URL
> as argument.  Can I do that for VLC?

Almost certainly.  You might have to refer to the VLC docs to figure out
the exact way to do it from the command-line.  Did you try `vlc $URL`,
where $URL is, of course, the URL?

--
Colby Russell