help-gplusplus

.bss section in C++ and gcc 2.95.2

From: M. Schwartz
Subject: .bss section in C++ and gcc 2.95.2
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:38:39 -0000

Hello,

I've noticed that gcc 2.95.2 doesn't use the .bss section for global uninitialized data (even if it is just builtins like char's or int's) when compiling C++ files (.cc extensions). When I compile the exact same program with a .c extension, I do get a .bss section. I haven't seen any previous postings in the subject and the manual doesn't say anything except for: 1) There is -fcommon which is not recommended for C++ usage. (The manual says random crashes may occur) 2) There is a cryptic remark which says that there is no need to explicitly set that section of variables or function (using "attribute") since there is a better way to control the section allocation in C++. Nothing further is said.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

M. Schwartz