help-gplusplus

g++, gcc unable to use -g because GAS not recognized.

From: dharri51
Subject: g++, gcc unable to use -g because GAS not recognized.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:01:31 -0400

Help!. I have built and installed from GNU's source code, their g++ & gcc
compilers on HP-UX 11.00 on an HP9000/778 machine.
The version was v 2.95.2. When trying to compile application code using the
-g compiler switch to turn on debugging information I get the message:

When using g++,
"cc1plus: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this processor,
cc1plus: warning: -g option disabled."

or when using gcc,
"cc1: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this processor,
cc1: warning: -g option disabled."

It still compiles, but I get no debugging information included

I subsequently installed the complete binutils, v 2.9.1 package from source
which includes gas. The GNU as executable was successfully built and it
runs the -h option OK. I have checked my path to ensure that this version
of as is found before the standard system version.

This did not fix the compiler warnings above. I even went as far as to
reconfigure and rebuild gcc, but that did not sove the problem either. I
was using gcc itself to rebuild the compiler.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Please e-mail me at dharri51@csc.com. Thanks.

David Harrison