help-gplusplus

gprof - wrong time results

From: Jan Schäfer
Subject: gprof - wrong time results
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:56:53 +0200

I'm trying to profile my C++-application using gprof.
Everything seems to work fine , I successfully compiled and linked
with the -pg option, ran the programm and received a gmon.out.

By comparing the reported total time with the time
measured by invoking the unix "time" command I noticed big differences:

for example executing 'time run_sim' shows

real    0m12.794s
user    0m11.717s
sys     0m1.023s

while 'gprof run_sim' reports a total elapsed time of 55s (which is
apparently wrong)??

I'm using       g++ (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)
                GNU gprof 2.15.90.0.1.1
I'm not linking to libraries other than the standard c/c++ libraries

any ideas why this does happen?