help-gplusplus

Re: linker error

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: linker error
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:07:18 -0700

"Nadina" <NadinaSch@gmail.com> writes:

> ld: fatal: file my_program: creation interrupted: No space left on
> devicecollect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I googled this error

Good.

> and it seems to be caused by double import of external
> variables/constants/functions.

But you apparently came to completely wrong conclusions :-(

The error is exactly what it says: you ran out of disk space
(either on the device on which your target was to be created,
or possibly on the /tmp filesystem).

> Also I get the error thus
> g++ -Wall -lsocket -lnsl -lpthread test.o Util.o -o test

This command line is completely backwards. Even though library
specification looks like an option, it isn't. A better command line
would be:

  g++ -Wall test.o Util.o -o test -lsocket -lnsl -lpthread

Also note that naming your executable 'test' is an extremely bad idea
(TM), because there is already a standard UNIX command called 'test'.
Most shells have a shell builtin by the same name as well.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.