help-gplusplus

Re: Undeclared wstring/wcout in GCC under DJGPP/Cygwin

From: Joe Wright
Subject: Re: Undeclared wstring/wcout in GCC under DJGPP/Cygwin
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:13:55 -0400

ing. Jan Chládek wrote:
I need compile ANSI C++ source file under Windows XP.
For some reasons I can't use MS Visual Studio, then I trying g++ port for Windows (DJGPP, CygWin). But I've problems with wide-characters operations, I think then it's maybe error of compiler's port for Windows.

Simple sample a.cpp:

#include <string>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main (int argc, char * argv[]) {
    wstring x;
    wcout<<x;
    return 0;
}

I've got these error messages:

1) in DJGPP 2.03, gxx 3.4.3
a.cpp: In function `int main(int, char**)':
a.cpp:5: error: `wstring' undeclared (first use this function)
a.cpp:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
function it appears in.)
a.cpp:5: error: expected `;' before "x"
a.cpp:6: error: `wcout' undeclared (first use this function)
a.cpp:6: error: `x' undeclared (first use this function)

2) in cygwin 1.5.13, g++ 3.3.3
a.cpp: In function `int main(int, char**)':
a.cpp:5: error: `wstring' undeclared (first use this function)
a.cpp:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
function it appears in.)
a.cpp:5: error: parse error before `;' token
a.cpp:6: error: `wcout' undeclared (first use this function)
a.cpp:6: error: `x' undeclared (first use this function)

3) in RedHat Linux, g++ 3.2.3
Compiled correctly.

Do you somebody know how to compile sources with wide-character strings until g++ for Windows?
Or exists any other free (full ANSI) C++ compiler for Windows?

Thanks

The DJGPP and cygwin sessions indeed pointed out errors in your code. Why do you think g++ on Redhat can get it right? If I were you, I would fix the code.
--
Joe Wright                            mailto:joewwright@comcast.net
                    --- Albert Einstein ---