howto map boot device to hd0 automagically?

From: Harald Dunkel
Subject: howto map boot device to hd0 automagically?
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:04:51 +0100

Hi folks,

I am trying to setup grub 0.97 on a USB stick (not using an iso image)
to be used on an arbitrary PC, AFAP. On the PC used to install grub it
boots without problems (of course). But according to the documentation
I have to manually change either device.map or menu.lst to make it work
on another PC.

Is there some way to tell grub: "Set hd0 to the device you booted from",
or "Search for a disk with a label 'usbroot' on the first partition,
and map hd0 accordingly"?

To be sure, I have verified that mbr(0x40) is set to 0xff. But it doesn't
affect the device map, AFAICS.

Regards

Harri