Grub refuses to hide/unhide

From: Simon Detheridge
Subject: Grub refuses to hide/unhide
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:40:48 +0100

I have a multi-boot system and Grub has started acting up. I haven't touched my grub installation since it was last working. I did an 'emerge -uD world' from Gentoo, but I wouldn't have thought it installs a new grub loader without asking me first.

Anyway. The problem is that on my first drive, I have 4 partitions. 3 NTFS ones, and an ext2 partition for /boot. When I boot some flavour of Windows, it hides two of the NTFS partitions, and unhides a third. Everything was working fine until yesterday, but now it refuses to hide/unhide the partitions.

It says:

  hide (hd0,0)
  22: No such partition

BUT - if I drop to a console, I can see the partitions. But if I try and hide/unhide from there, it still complains. Example:

  > root (hd0,0)
  Partition type: 0x17
  > unhide (hd0,0)
  22: No such partition
  > root (hd0,2)
  Partition type: 0x07
  > hide (hd0,2)
  22: No such partition

Note: The above output isn't exact. I'm remembering it from what happened, but you get the idea.

If I boot back into Gentoo, and set the partition types (hidden/unhidden) manually using fdisk and then reboot, then edit the grub commands at the grub prompt to remove all the hide/unhides, it works, and I can boot my OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Simon

--
"Pokey are you drunk on love?"
"Yes. Also whiskey. But mostly love... And whiskey!"