Re: efi linux booting on macbook pro fails with grub2 1.97

From: Soeren Sonnenburg
Subject: Re: efi linux booting on macbook pro fails with grub2 1.97
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:55:47 +0100

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 14:50 -0700, Michael Evans wrote:
> I think that grub2 still uses the same hd0 == sda ; hd1 == sdb ; ... ;
> hd(N-1) =sd(N) scheme, but stops counting partitions within drives
> from 0 and instead uses the same number as otherwise (maybe they
> mapped 'partition 0' to the whole devices as a default argument; that
> would make sense to me).
>
> So you need to modify your grub-config to read
>
> menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux" {
>        root=(hd0,3)
>        fakebios
>        linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro video=efifb
> }
>
> (Or something...)

This is indeed a configuration that works when booting with bios but not
with EFI :( There ls (hd1,3)/boot really lists me the kernel but a

linux (hd1,3)/boot/vmlinuz

doesn't do anything. To the contrary when I call it twice it doesn't
even find the linux command any longer...

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962