Re: Two GRUB setup can boot one each of two installs, but not the other,

From: Yavuz Onder
Subject: Re: Two GRUB setup can boot one each of two installs, but not the other, why?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:49:51 -0500

Michael Evans wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 5:27 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have a very strange GRUB problem, that got me totally stumped.
[my info removed for brevity]

Your problem is most likely caused by an over-helpful BIOS which is
re-mapping physical devices so that whichever device is selected as
the 'boot' device is setup as the 0th BIOS drive.

In this case for one of the two grub installs you must refer to the
drive your Linux installs are on by some other name; very likely by
using a custom device.map file to specify that (hd1) is actually
/dev/whatever.

Thus one drive would be installed as normal.
The other drive would be setup (manual grub install) with a device-map file.

Since the device-map file would re-define the hard drives the actual
grub.conf file can be the same for both installs.

Thanks, but I am not using any disk drive spec at all, but only UUIDs.

I am pretty much forced to work with UUIDs as I frequently add extra disks and (hdn,m) format always poses a moving target.

Can you suggest a work around with UUIDs left in picture? Where is that "device-map file"? Will removing it help?

I can get rid of one of the MBRs happily if the remaining one would work.