GRUB boot from GPT. UEFI.

From: George Buranov
Subject: GRUB boot from GPT. UEFI.
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:26:45 +0300

Hello everybody.

I am currently trying to realize the following functionality: I want grub to load the kernel from GPT partition. I am using grub build for UEFI. So, I got following questions for now:

I don't want to use standart naming conversion, here are some reasons:

* It is not clear what is (hd1, 0). I understand that is means first partition on the first disk, but what is first disk on EFI? I know, for example, that you can easy change the order in BIOS (SCSI first or IDE first), but what about UEFI? What disk exactly is hd1, and what is hd2? Or that's platform specific?

* If it's platform specific, is there a way in live OS to obtain UEFI disk number, used by GRUB?

I am currently looking into "search" grub command, it seems it can search by filesystem UUID, but I want to load from NTFS. Do we have UUID on NTFS? Is UUID really unique? I guess no.

It would be ideal if we can search the GPT partition/disk by GUID - that's what we got NTFS GUID for ="">
Do anybody know is it really possible?

Thanks in advance,
Georgy