Re: Possibly off-topic question - I am a n00b

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: Possibly off-topic question - I am a n00b
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:35:46 +0800

Phil Hart wrote:

> Grub 2 works perfectly when booting from a USB memory stick on the
> machine on which it was prepared.
>
> If I use the same USB memory stick on any other machine, I get "Entering
> rescue mode... \n error: no such disk".
>
> On the machine on which the USB memory stick was prepared, the target OS
> is on the third internal physical disk (sdc), and the USB memory stick
> appears as "sdd". On all the other machines, there is only a single
> internal disk (sda).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> (A bar of virtual chocolate is offered to anybody who even tries to help!)

USB may appear differently when put into another machine.
(hd1,1) for the usb may become (hd3,1) in another for example.

If needed to boot in another machine, at boot menu, go to prompt and check
available boot partition to boot. 'ls' and 'search -f /vmlinuz' will list
down available partitions as recognized by *that* computer. go back to menu
and modify accordingly to boot.

Hope that helps.

Regards - Goh Lip

ps: will virtually enjoy your virtual chocolate.