grub as multiboot/bzImage

From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: grub as multiboot/bzImage
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:57:21 +0200

Hello,

I am trying to build grub as multiboot ELF or bzImage. From what I have
gathered via aimlessly googling around, the basic idea for a bzImage is:

# grub-mkimage -o grub.img <mods that I want>
# cat /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/lnxboot.img grub.img > grub.bzImage

If I try booting the result as bzImage, e.g. via qemu -kernel
grub.bzImage, it seems to hang before anything from grub is
executed. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

And is it possible to build a multiboot grub at all? grub-mkelfimage
doesn't even build ELF files...

Any help is appreciated.

This is with grub 1.98-1ubuntu6 (on Ubuntu obviously).

Regards,
Julian