Re: booting from a raid1

From: lee
Subject: Re: booting from a raid1
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:49:28 +0200

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 09:25:19AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM, lee <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> As far as i know grub2 can't boot from raid arrays with version 1.2
> >> metadata superblock. At least your /boot partition must reside on
> >> RAID with version 0.9 superblock.
> >
> > Ok, I'll have to make a boot partition on another device then until
> > grub supports current superblock formats.
>
> sid supports 1.x:
>
>  grub2  (1.98+20100720-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
>    * New Bazaar snapshot.
>      - Link to Info documentation on changes from GRUB Legacy in README
>        (closes: #502623).
>      - Add support for mdadm metadata formats 1.x (closes: #492897).

There seems to be version 1.98+20100 in testing, so it should work:

yun:~# apt-cache show grub2
Package: grub2
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 344
Maintainer: GRUB Maintainers <address@hidden>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.98+20100804-4

Yet I've no good idea what to put into grub.cfg to make it work. Do I
need to/can I somehow use chroot to switch to the new root partition
and then use grub-install or grub-mkconfig from there so that it will
create the grub.cfg as needed?