Re: grub-install to a partition

From: Barry Jackson
Subject: Re: grub-install to a partition
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 13:58:30 +0100

On 08/10/10 14:16, Goh Lip wrote:
On Friday 08,October,2010 06:51 PM, Barry Jackson wrote:
But I can't get that entry to display in the menu.
I don't see any syntax errors, maybe you do?
I added the first two of these for testing:-

menuentry 'Mandriva 2010.1 x86-64 root' {
search --no-floppy --label --set 2010_1_64_root
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=2010_1_64_root ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img
}

Gee, Barry, that is really strange. Even if entry doesn't boot, that
entry should appear in the menu. Syntax looks okay from here and make
sure there is no space before "}". (or after) and save with cursor
without space before it (just in case). I remember a script that is
fussy about such things. - I think it is ".bashrc" never had syntax
errors with grub menu.lst or grub.cfg

Or you can try using uuid instead, that is the default.

menuentry 'Mandriva 2010.1 x86-64 uuid' {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img
}

I boot using this all the time, just not /boot/vmlinuz, but /vmlinuz,
for my OS sets syslink to / (from /boot); and I don't worry about kernel
changes, all will be set to latest.

Barry, seems we don't have much luck recently, but I am not the
superstitious type. :)

Good luck, I mean - go break a leg :) - Goh Lip

Hi Goh,
Read the reply from Jordan and my reply to that!
It seems the "root=LABEL=2010_1_64_root ro" is redundant!
This works fine :-

menuentry 'Mandriva 2010.1 x86-64 root' {
search --no-floppy --label --set 2010_1_64_root
linux /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/initrd.img
}

I have found that grub.cfg is *very* fussy about syntax and just blows up without error messages if anything is wrong, probably because it is not intended to be edited by humans! I spent a whole night with similar problems trying to figure why entries were missing - I thought that I was editing a different file maybe in the mount point with the partition not mounted - I was pulling my hair out! Turned out to be a missing ' on one occasion and a missing trailing brace another time! I think grub2 also does some checking of paths in menu entries, and ignores the menu item if a path fails. I would prefer an error message :-(

Cheers - Barry