GRUB2 Out of Memory Error

From: Gus Zernial
Subject: GRUB2 Out of Memory Error
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:19:24 -0800 (PST)

I have an AMD system with Kubuntu 10.10 64-bit, Grub2 and  2.6.37.1 custom
kernel. There are several disks in the system, the boot disk is on an
OCZ-AGILITY 120GB SATA SSD. After several weeks of normal operation, for some
reason the system stopped booting, giving the message ...

error: out of memory > Entering rescue mode > grub rescue>

I can thereafter boot the system with the Kubuntu install disk, go into system
rescue mode, go into a root shell on the boot disk, issue update-grub, and the
system will then boot correctly the following time. But the time after that,
back to the grub out of memory error.

The only other thing noticed is that in system rescue mode the
boot disk does not always get the same /dev/sdX identifier.
Can someone tell me what's wrong and how to fix?

Thx, Gus