Re: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: Treutwein Bernhard
Subject: Re: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:06:18 +0100

Hi Bill & Robert,

[...]
> > Is there some complete official documentation of GRUB2, or is GRUB2 full
> > documentation only in source code?;-)
>
> I think the Grub2 developers would welcome volunteers to help write
> documentation.

this is kind of a hen & egg problem.

I would love to help improving the documentation (as I did already for
Grub Legacy), but I have no idea where to start. Currently I see that
the "official" Grub Manual is in a difficult state. It appears to me
that it is a copy of the Grub Legacy manual, where some parts are
updated others are plainly wrong (due to being only copied), e.g.
the remark in the second paragraph of chapter 3 Installation
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Installation
where it is stated that you could install grub by running grub
itself from a floppy, which isn't possible with Grub 2 anymore.

I have no idea how I can find out how to use modules where I
have to guess how to use them. There was a nice remark on
by phcoder on the request list that there are usb mass storage
and uhci & ehci modules, which I tried and I was able to confirm
that insmod'ing uhci.mod and usbms.mod on a system, which is not
able to boot via bios from usb, enabled this system to boot
from usb by chainloading (usb0)+1. But it is very time consuming
and frustrating to experiment with different modules just for
documentation.

How can I find out more information about the modules?

Is digging into the source an option, is documentation available
there in comments? I was not able to browse source in Savannah's
Bazaar since this option is apparently broken?

BTW: I ask for mercy for cross-posting this to help-grub and grub-devel
     but I am really unsure where it should go ...

regards
--
  Bernhard Treutwein