Re: Dual boot GNU and Windows 7

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Dual boot GNU and Windows 7
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 17:08:34 +0000

Quoth address@hidden:
> There's a long thread on alt.os.linux titled "Please recommend partitioning
> schemes for Linux" that might interest you.

Thanks.  I've read the first few postings and it looks like it will be useful.

> Dire straits booting ANY bootable partition is real easy with grub1 and all
> you need for that is any popular bootable linux installation optical disk or
> live-cd/dvd. Or just an old grub boot floppy. The thing is to get to a linux
> command line prompt and launch grub.

Yes, I see what you're saying.  If I can get to the grub prompt I can pretty
much boot anything I like from there.

> [...] with grub1 if partition #2 is an otherwise autonomous bootable windows
> partition

I'm not sure if partition #2 is an 'autonomous bootable Windows partition':

 DRIVE     - FS   - DESCRIPTION (SIZE)               - FLAG
 /dev/sda1 - NTFS - Windows boot partition (200 MiB) - boot
 /dev/sda2 - NTFS - Main Windows partition (422 GiB) -

Only the first partition (containing the Windows bootloader?) is bootable
according to the flags.

> grub > root (hd0,1)        [observe filesystem recognized]
> grub > hide (hd0,0)        [unconditionally hide any #1 windows partition]
> grub > hide (hd0,2)        [unconditionally hide any #3 windows partition]
> grub > unhide (hd0,1)      [unconditionally unhide the #1 partition]
> grub > rootnoverify (hd0,1)
> grub > makeactive
> grub > chainloader +1
> grub > boot

Interesting.  Thanks.

> Note that humans don't start counting by raising the thumb and saying "zero".
> grub2 uses human partition numbering, but still not so for drives :-)

Noted.

> for partition #2 with grub2 it might be like
>   set root=(hd0,2)
>   chainloader (hd0,2)+1
>   boot

Thanks again.

> but validate that first, I'm very new to grub2

Noted.

> For a linux partition (grub1 again, partition #12)
>   root    (hd0,11)
>   kernel  /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda12 splash=0 3
>   initrd  /boot/initrd
>   boot

Not sure I'll create that many partitions :)

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.