Re: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:01:23 -0400

On 03/29/11 21:18, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
        I think a good example of this is the sort order of the items in the
boot list.  Under GRUB legacy, editing the menu list order was quite simple.
I did some significant searching to try to find a way to do this with GRUB
2, but as far as I was able to determine, there is no way to do it.

(warning - I haven't reinstalled my GRUB2 since some devel version between 1.97 and 1.98, IIRC, so my experience *might* be outdated)

I maintain my own GRUB2 /boot/grub/grub.cfg . The sort order of the items is exactly the order I write the menuentry "" {}s in the file. I can re-order by moving the order of the entries in the file. Did you start with a different-looking grub.cfg than mine? I heard that some distros have been automatically generating some more-complicated grub.cfgs: that might be complicating the grub-config-script ecosystem?

-Isaac