Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root'

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root'
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 11:47:51 -0700

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 7:46 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 May, 2011 08:40:40 address@hidden wrote:

>> > # cat /proc/mounts
>> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
>> > /dev/root / btrfs rw,relatime,noacl 0 0
>> > tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
>> > proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
>> > sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
>> > tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
>> > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
>> > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>> > /dev/sda1 /boot ext3
>> > rw,relatime,errors=continue,commit=5,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
>> > none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,relatime,devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0
>> > /dev/sda4 /media/winxp fuseblk
>> > rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096
>> >  0 0
>> > fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
>> > binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc
>> > rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
>> > address@hidden:/ /media/droog fuse.sshfs
>> > rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,max_read=65536
>> >  0 0
>> > address@hidden:/ /media/hex fuse.sshfs
>> > rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,max_read=65536
>> >  0 0
>> >
>> > In the current Debian Testing I do not have grub1.99 final available, only
>> > 1.99~rc1-13.
>> > # update-grub2
>> > /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root'.
>> > #
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> It appears that no one knows why I'm unable to boot.  Grub is broken with
> BTRFS, and there doesn't seem to be any impetus to fix it.
>
> I'd better warn others in the forums.

Or you could try to help get it fixed by filing a bug report. Btrfs
support is considered very important, and is working fine for me and
many others. If you want the bug you're running into fixed though the
solution is to file a bug report to make developers aware of the
problem, not to rant about it on unrelated forums.

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=grub

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)