Re: Configuring grub2 on a backup disk

From: Gregg Levine
Subject: Re: Configuring grub2 on a backup disk
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:48:27 -0400

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:35 PM, jackie sparks
<address@hidden> wrote:
> keep in mind your uuid of the drive will change also here is page that
> specifies getting that information
>
> http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/short-tip-get-uuid-of-hard-disks/
>
> --[Witty Signature Goes
> Below]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --[....]------
> http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=53668912&trk=tab_pro - linked in
> profile
> http://www.facebook.com/skrapsrwt - feel free to add me on facebook.
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/foodstamps/
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nodeaddawgs/
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mcdlunch/
> http://www.causes.com/causes/633686-no-dead-dawgs
>
> http://www.phonesnake.com - looking for support by sharing and liking our
> page and also sponsors to help with the project.
> http://www.communicationslibrary.info - taking the knowlege outside the
> classroom so anyone can be a technician
> http://chunkhost.com/r/getachunk - Support my VPS host sign up now
> http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000140654932
> https://www.scriptlance.com/cgi-bin/freelancers/feedback.cgi?p=rwtskraps
> http://twitter.com/#!/skraps_foo
> http://twitter.com/#!/phonesnake
> http://skraps.pastebin.com
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=
>
> This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
> Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, is
> confidential, and is intended solely for the use of the individuals or
> entities to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the
> intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in
> error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
> copying of this e-mail and any file attachments is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> immediately notify me by email at address@hidden You must
> destroy
> the original transmission and its contents.
>

>> Subject: Configuring grub2 on a backup disk
>> From: address@hidden
>> To: address@hidden
>> Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:46:52 -0500
>>

>> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, and planning to upgrade. Before I do, though,
>> I want to make sure my backup/restore processes work. My backups, of
>> course, have been running since I first installed 10.04, but it's only a
>> restore that can demonstrate that they have been running successfully.
>>
>> And I've found a problem. I don't know how to get grub2 configured
>> correctly, on the restored disk.
>>
>> Currently, my running system is on /dev/sda, with /boot on /dev/sda1
>> and / on /dev/mapper/desktop-root. (I'm using logical volumes.) This
>> configuration has been running successfully for several years.
>>
>> My restore is on /dev/sdb, with /boot on /dev/sdb1 and /
>> on /dev/mapper/desktop2-root.

> [...]

Hello!
While I agree to all that this display of discussions is certainly
necessary. I do not see a reason for the extremely long signature on
your responses. Please desist from posting those links, and that
disclaimer. This list is stored on a publicly searchable site. Which
means we can't redact your e-mail address or postings. I might add I'm
not a manager for this list, that's done on a different one. Here I
only subscribe like all of you.

-----
Gregg C Levine address@hidden