grub> ls doesn't show CDROM device

From: Robert
Subject: grub> ls doesn't show CDROM device
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:09:39 +0200

v1.98

Hello, on a very old system I boot e.g. from floppy then want to load linux kernel&image from (normal internal IDE) CDROM, then mount a Firewire disk paritition as root.

(There seems to be no Firewire mod in Grub2? (and: the usbms,uhci,ohci mods also seem to not work correctly?))

Yet "ls" on the grub prompt only shows the (fd0) boot device and an internal harddisks, if existing.
The CDROM device is not visible.
The iso9660 module is loaded.
Which modules or ... do I need to see the CDROM from Grub2?

and optionally: how to see USB keys, when not supported by Bios. (tried insmod's: usb usbms uhci ohci )

PS: Yet if I boot e.g. from a super grub disk CD, I see the CDROM as (hd31) - and (fd0) also. why not when booting from any other device?