Re: recreating grub legacy feature in new grub

From: Rance Hall
Subject: Re: recreating grub legacy feature in new grub
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:05:43 -0600

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Rance Hall <address@hidden> wrote:

> You are mistaken. GRUB_TERMINAL= in /etc/default/grub takes a space
> separated list of terminals, so you want something like this:
> GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
>
> For more information on this and other options in /etc/default/grub
> see: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration

Jordan:

You are right, and I had tried this.  running update-grub generated an
error complaining that one of my options was not supported.

I tracked that problem down and was able to get a successful
update-grub run with the configuration changes you refer to.

However, it still does not work as I would like.

1)  Without the --timeout option, both consoles are active
simultaneously.  In my view this is a security hole.  If the operator
was truly are remote and serialing into the box from a serial server,
having the physical console active at the same time seems to me to be
a big risk.

I can mitigate this with a lack of keyboard, etc for my own use, but
in a production setting with kvm's etc, there is no way to stop having
two root consoles.  The two channel kernel diag output does not worry
me per se, but the possible conflicting grub control access does.

2)  When setup this way, getty does not seem to want to start
correctly and provide a login prompt.  I have to Alt-F2 away to a
second terminal and then Alt-F1 back and then I get a login prompt.

Rance