Recommended test for bootable windows

From: Loving, Kent
Subject: Recommended test for bootable windows
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:37:08 -0800

For a dual boot (winXP + Linux) system I want to normally boot the windows. But
there will be times when the windows partition is not yet installed. In this
condition it's best if grub boots the Linux instead of wasting boot to windows.
I suppose I could check for the presence of an important file, like NTLDR. Is
the a better way?

Second, if the windows is present but in some corrupted and doesn't boot, I
want grub to boot the Linux on the next boot. So is there a good way to test
for a failed boot attempt?