Re: Grub2 on USB-Stick fails install

From: Bill Marcum
Subject: Re: Grub2 on USB-Stick fails install
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:52:27 -0500

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 06:53:59PM +0100, Oliver Friedrich wrote:
> On 11.12.2011 17:29, David Balažic wrote:
> >I followed this instructions running Ubuntu 11.10:
> >http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-grub2-on-usb-from-ubuntu-linux/
> >(and it worked)
>
> Yes, it is the same commandline that I did use, based my script on
> one of those multiboot-scripts, too.
> >
> >Do you have multiple partitions on the stick?
> No, just sdX1. I remember that earlier I could just format the
> usb-stick and directly put my filesystem on /dev/sdX, but now
> gparted doesn't even let me create just the /dev/sdX partition, it
> automatically creates /dev/sdX1.

/dev/sdX isn't a partition, it's the whole drive. If you want to format
that way, skip gparted and just do mk*fs /dev/sdX. You might have to
erase the partition table with dd bs=512 count=1 </dev/zero >/dev/sdX

--
We've had 30 years of center-right to extreme-right governance and the
country has gotten steadily worse.  The triumph of politics is that at