Re: gentoo + debian wheezy + fd0 read error

From: Jose Juan Montiel
Subject: Re: gentoo + debian wheezy + fd0 read error
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:42:55 +0100

Hi, sorry for late, but hard week... :)
>> first sorry if asked, but i didn't find it.
>>
>> I install gentoo on a machine (mini-itx i3 sandy bridge + lvm) and
>> install grub (1 i think)
>>
>> last week y reinstall with debian wheezy (now with support to sandy
>> bridge) and grub (2 i think)
>>
>> 1º If i install grub2 on /dev/sda it erase old grub1 mbr information
>> on sda1, not?
>>
> Yes, with the clarification that there is no "mbr information on
> sda1". The mbr is the first sector of the disk, *not* a part of any
> partition. "grub-install /dev/sda" will overwrite the mbr of /dev/sda
> (preserving the partition table), will also modify the embedding area
> (the post-mbr gap with msdos partition tables) and will install
> modules in /boot/grub/.

ok, right, i mistake with final sda1

>> 2º Now on startup apear
>> - Grub...
>> - fd0 read error
>> - fd1 read error
>> splash screen debian grub...
>> y la lista de kernels...
>>
> Those error messages shouldn't cause any actual problem.
really not, only a few seconds of delay...

> There are
> some things you could do to avoid them (modify grub-mkconfig to add
> "--no-floppy" to all search commands for one), but it's probably not
> worth doing.

making something like this...  grep -A5 -B5 floppy /boot/grub/* i see in
/boot/grub/grub.cfg --no-floppy in 2 menu entry

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cf8af0b5-6a00-46d4-b314-4f6fdde221f5

>> who and why try to do something with fd (the mini-itx no floppy disk,
>> maybe something usb like floppy) ?
>>
> Your BIOS is presenting grub with virtual floppy drives. Why, I don't
> know. Your guess about usb-floppy is a possibility.

i think i remove all options... of floppy
>> I try --no-floppy on grub install but no luck.
>>
> grub-install --no-floppy just prevents grub-install from probing
> floppy devices, it doesn't affect the resulting grub installation at
> all. The error messages are coming from the search commands in your
> grub.cfg.

any search in this file has a --no-floppy option.

Any ideas... searching in google seem to be a "common" problem, maybe
with diferent causes but...

thanks in advance.