Re: grub2-mkconfig with 3.2.10 kernels?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: grub2-mkconfig with 3.2.10 kernels?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 04:07:39 -0700

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Michael D. Setzer II
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 18 Mar 2012 at 18:54, Jordan Uggla wrote:
>
> From:                   Jordan Uggla <address@hidden>
> Date sent:              Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:54:42 -0700
> Subject:                Re: grub2-mkconfig with 3.2.10 kernels?
> To:                     "Michael D. Setzer II"
> <address@hidden>
> Copies to:             address@hidden
>
>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Michael D. Setzer II
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Just did an update and it included a new kernel, but then on
>> > reboot after running grub2-mkconfig noticed that the newest one was
>> > not first. Seems to be sorting the 9 before the 10?
>> >
>> > Is this a bug?

This is indeed a bug, and I've reproduced it with grub from bzr trunk
as well. It's too late for me to try to look at the cause tonight but
1: Please file a bug report about this and 2: If the password
contained in your grub.cfg is at all critical, it's now known to the
world so you should change it. I'm sorry I didn't warn you about that
possibility when I asked you to post your grub.cfg. You should also
know that you do *not* need to store your grub passwords in plain
text: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Security

Also, setting GRUB_DEFAULT=0 *is* the correct way to have grub default
to the newest kernel.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)