Re: Error when booting to FreeBSD on second disk, only through 40_custom

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Error when booting to FreeBSD on second disk, only through 40_custom
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:03:54 -0700

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Adarsh Joshi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to boot FreeBSD using Grub2 and I get the following error
>

> Booting a command list
>
> Error: out of partition.
>
> Error: out of partition.

This means that grub attempted to read blocks from a partition which
were actually past the end of the partition. The simplest example of
how this would happen is if you had a 20 GiB ext4 parititon, used
fdisk to make the partition only 10 GiB, but forgot to resize the
filesystem also. So the ext4 filesystem's metadata would state that
there was a file around 15 GiB into the filesystem, even though the
partition is only 10 GiB, thus causing this read error. I don't think
that something so simple is happening here though. You either have an
invalid partition table for some reason, or grub is interpreting the
partition table incorrectly (which is more likely if you're using BSD
slices that a more standard msdos or GPT label). You're using a
relatively old version of grub, and I think I remember improvements to
grub's support for slices being improved post 1.98 so using a newer
version of grub might be worth trying. Also please post the output of
"parted -l" so we can see your exact partition layout.

> Error: only ELF kernel supports module.

I don't know what is causing this error.

> The interesting thing is that I see (hd1) and (hd1,msdos1) when I do a ls at
> the command prompt and I am even able to boot FreeBSD if try through the
> command prompt. I get the error only when I try to boot through 40_custom
> file.

It's pretty much guaranteed then that the commands you're running
manually at the grub shell are not the same as those contained in your
custom menu entry.

> I also have another version of FreeBSD on hd0 and I am able to boot into it
> successfully through command prompt as well as 40_custom file.
>

> I strongly feel set root='(hd1,msdos1)' is not enough when pointing to
> another disk and I am probably missing something here.

As mentioned by John Little, the search command overrides the "set
root=foo", so make sure that the UUID in the search line is correct
and actually unique.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)