Re: UEFI error: cannot allocate real mode pages

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: UEFI error: cannot allocate real mode pages
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:14:07 -0600

On Apr 2, 2012, at 8:59 PM, Richard Chan wrote:

I was preparing the EFI app off-box.

I do not have any OS on the target machine so I'm putting grub.efi on a USB thumb drive.

Is grub-mkstandalone lacking something?

Well it's not working, is it?

I don't understand why you are able to run grub-mkstandalone to build the .efi core image, but you can't use grub-install or grub-mkrescue.

You kinda need to be running this on a UEFI machine, pretty sure there's a dependency on efibootmgr which won't be present on BIOS hardware running Linux.

Chris Murphy