Re: Where to find Grub's last version

From: Arbiel Perlacremaz
Subject: Re: Where to find Grub's last version
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:48:58 +0200

Hi

I hope my message won't be in HTML. I set Thunderbird parameters according to the request you made some time ago, but the presentation I get on my screen looks as if it were HTML. So I'm going to keep my whole text in front of the message.

Thank you for you reply, Jordan, however, I'm not quite satisfied with it. I said I'm running tests, but these tests concern script I'm writing to have Grub behave accordlingly to my needs.

In no way am I a programmer, but only a regular user, and my aim is not to test unofficial releases of Grub. I want to keep with official ones.

Obviously Vladimir and myself, we have two opposite approaches : I understand very well that developpers have no time to waste in answering requests which have been already addressed, even if the result has not yet been released to regular users. On the opposite, regular users cannot be aware of what is exactly going on the development side.

To my understanding, all of you who answer our messages are sort of filters between the regular users as myself and developpers, to avoid us to disturb them. And on that respect, we, regular users, may expect you to explain that rather than being sort of blamed on not having used the latest release, when this latest release refers to a beta release.

Maybe we should not be allowed to send messages to bug list but only to the help list, and let you appreciate whether the help we are requesting needs to be translated into a bug to the development team.

Now,I understand very well that fixing a bug does not translate into modifying a single file.

However, in the present situation, when I write that the loadfont command present in the 00_header section of grub.cfg is faulty, I think that the fixing of this to be rather straightforward as the generation of this command is to be replaced by two actions : the copy of the file to the --boot-directory and the generation of a new loadfont command wich should read loadfont ${prefix}/unicode.pf2.

But, as simple as it appears, I'm not able to update the corresponding script, as I have a very limited understanding of the shell language.