booting without filesystem

From: Anselm Strauss
Subject: booting without filesystem
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:30:55 +0200

hi,

i was looking for a possibility to boot grub 2 without needing a filesystem
with grub files somewhere on the disk. i know i can make such an image with
grub-mkrescue, but it generates an iso which, as far as i know, is not bootable
directly from disk. even when i have created a disk bootable image with
grub-mkimage, how do i get the pc bios to boot this from a gpt formatted disk?
is there some standard mbr bootcode i can install that just locates the bios
boot partition in gpt and chain loads it, so i could just write the grub image
to this partition?

it may look a bit strange why to not just put the files on some filesystem on
disk which you will have anyway if you are going to install some operating
system. but my reason for this is that the installation is automated and
updating is a lot easier if i just have to write a new image, instead of
updating files on a filesystem, which would not be done automatically by a
package manager. also i had a lot of trouble with grub-install depending on
what environment i executed it in. writing some mbr bootcode and the grub image
to the boot partition looks a lot easier to me.

thanks,
anselm