Re: booting without filesystem

From: Anselm Strauss
Subject: Re: booting without filesystem
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:12:29 +0200

On Apr 19, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Jordan Uggla wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2012 2:30 PM, "Anselm Strauss" <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> The grub-mkrescue image is meant to be used as a full disk image, not
>>> dd'd to a partition. Why do you need a GPT label at all? What is your
>>> whole end goal with this?
>>
>> i like the idea of having all the grub data contained in one image file. in
>> my scenario i have some hardware where the disk is partitioned with gpt but
>> holds just one partition with filesystem image files that are mounted
>> read-only on boot. so for an initial install or update that is done from a
>> live system booted from usb, i can then just replace the image files and
>> write the grub image to the boot partition. otherwise i have to install all
>> the grub files into the live system, copy them to the disk during
>> installation and hope grub-install succeeds.
>
> Why not keep everything contained in the grub-mkrescue image, which is
> conveniently already an iso9660 read only filesystem?
> Then rather than dding the grub image to a partition and updating the
> files in the filesystem you do both in one step by dding the new
> grub-mkrescue image to the drive.

the downside of this is that all old images will be removed. also i can not
update the system from itself, it would overwrite the data where the running
system is mounted from. i want the partitioning in order to have a certain
modularity. i guess the only option then is to use grub-install after all.