Re: Re: usb disk on pcmcia2usb

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Re: usb disk on pcmcia2usb
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:13:47 -0700

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM, jk <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for attention, i try to wrote in eanglish :)
>
> the laptop has usb 1.1 so i put a pcmcia card for adding usb 2.0 well,
> no driver is present at boot so the laptop can't use usb 2.0,
> grub can't use external disk on bus usb 2.0 so i try to boot with a
> flash drive of 1G on usb 1.1 and i have to explain to grub:
> load kernel and initrd from flash and then at the kernel to use for root
> directory the HD on usb 2.0
>
> your code:
> menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
>   search --set=root --fs-uuid UUID_HERE
>   linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=UUID_HERE
>   initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
> }
>
> tell that at the kernel?
> Roberto.

The code that I gave was code to be used in the grub.cfg. In that code
that I gave the "search --set=root --fs-uuid UUID_HERE" line tells
grub what partition to load the kernel and initrd from, and the kernel
parameter "root=UUID=UUID_HERE" tells the kernel what partition to use
for mounting the root filesystem.

Please post the output of "sudo parted -l" and "sudo blkid" and I can
probably give you the exact code which should go in your grub.cfg.

The other option is to simply mount the partition on your flash drive
to /boot/ (using /etc/fstab so that it will always be mounted there)
and then you can use grub-mkconfig rather than writing a grub.cfg
manually.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)