Re: Newbie Grub2 tweaking tool/instructions?

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Newbie Grub2 tweaking tool/instructions?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:40:06 -0400

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 09:23:19AM EDT, Richard Owlett wrote:

[..]

> What I'd also like is to not have excess menu entries:
>
>   1. each install provides a normal and "rescue" entry point.

I believe (on debian/ubuntu) that you can turn off generation of such
entries by setting variables in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

Not sure which is which... etc. I have set both in mine & it just works.

But this is no longer relevant where I'm concerned:

As to pretty much all your other questions, the way I have addressed
them was getting rid of the menu generation rigmarole in /etc/grub.d/
and just editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg to suit my needs so I can *see*
what I am doing.¹

Once I made that decision *all* grub-related problems disappeared.

CJ

¹ I used the ‘recommended’ tactics once to generate a grub.cfg
  ‘template’. After that, just make sure debian/ubuntu kernel upgrades,
  etc. do not generate a new grub.cfg behind your back and overwrite
  your custom menu. Back up that file before editing so you always have
  something to fall back on..!

--
Hi! My name is bobby...