Re: Wrong root device when using update-grub inside chroot (building VM

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Wrong root device when using update-grub inside chroot (building VM images)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 18:03:56 -0700

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using chroot and want to create a virtual machine image. Everything
> works so far, but grub. I can't use grub-install, that would install on the
> real hdd. When I install a kernel, grub.cfg gets messed up due to
> update-grub. The root device is wrong. I'd need something like update-grub
> with device map as parameter.
>
> "set root='(hd0,msdos1)'" (correct) gets converted to "set
> root='(/dev/nbd0p1)'" (wrong, it's only a device to mount the hdd image).

This line is mostly useless, as it will be overridden by the more
reliable search command which follows it and sets $root by UUID.
Grub's devices don't contian '/dev/' in them anyway, so that value is
completely bogus in multiple ways.

> "insmod part_msdos" (correct) gets lost (wrong).

This could be a problem, though it won't be in 95% of configurations
(because the part_msdos module will already have been included in the
core.img, and thus does not need to be loaded again). If you can
reproduce this problem with grub 2.00 please file a bug report
including the full grub.cfg which is generated.

> Is there something like update-grub where I can set those values manually?

Is anything actually not working? If so, please describe what actual
symptoms you're seeing.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)