Re: GRUB on EFI:

From: Giovanni Mascellani
Subject: Re: GRUB on EFI:
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:36:21 +0200

Hi.

Il 03/09/2012 01:18, Mads Kiilerich ha scritto:
>>> Then I create the GRUB EFI image with:
>>>
>>> cd grub-core
>>> ../grub-mkimage -o grub.efi -O x86_64-efi -p '' -d . part_gpt ext2 fat
>>> configfile part_msdos linux boot multiboot chain
>
> Unless you have a good reason and know what you are doing you should use
> grub-install (and grub-mkconfig). Does that not work for you?

No, it doesn't. I used grub-mkimage to show with more details what was
happening, in the hope of helping people potentially helping me. If you
think using grub-install would help debug, I can try that.

>>> and copy it on a USB stick (MS-DOS partition table, FAT partition),
>>> putting it in the directory /efi/boot/bootx64.efi.
>
> If you really want it as default boot loader then use grub-install
> --removable .

No, no particular desire to have bootx64.efi. The reason I used it is
that I used a USB stick for my tests (because I needed another computer
for installing and configuring GRUB) and my firmware (Aptio) apparently
loses boot information about removable media when the get removed. Using
bootx64.efi I didn't need to configure it every time.

BTW, I also have news on my issue: I did some tests with ELILO, which
has problems too. Apparently it loads correctly kernel and initrd, but
than, at the moment of booting the kernels, it actually reboots the
machine. It also writes something on the console, but it immediately
disappears and I can't read it. This brings me to possibility that my
firmware has some bugs. I really hope this is not the case, but will get
in touch with ELILO developers to have some help to read the error message.

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <address@hidden>
Pisa, Italy