Grub displays Grub Rescue menu

From: Paul Lewis
Subject: Grub displays Grub Rescue menu
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:45:04 +0100

I seem to have wrecked my Grub install on Debian. I tried to add a SSD
to my system with another Deb install on it, the install failed during
installation of Grub, although it specifically said there wasn't any
other installs present on the system!

Anyhow now when I boot, the system gives the 'Grub rescue' prompt. I
have booted into a Debian Rescue disk and am able to look around the
installation, everything seems ok. Indeed i have since found out that
everything is OK, this is how.

Searching through the web, I came across a page that introduced me to a
couple of GRUB rescue commands, one of which was # insmod normal
followed by # normal.

As if by magic this takes me directly to my Grub OS menu and from there
I can boot into the OS - not the new one.

So I can get into the system, ( learning the wisdom of backups ) but
I'd like to regularize the situation so I don't have to go to the
rescue menu and load the normal module and so on.

Any clues how to sort this out?

Thanks in advance

People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and
diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public

-- Adam Smith