Re: Chainloading Windows 7 EFI Bootloader

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Chainloading Windows 7 EFI Bootloader
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 20:40:59 -0800

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Florian Wagner <address@hidden> wrote:
> And then the system just stands there with blinking cursor and doesn't
> accept any input (this could be because of my USB keyboard, perhaps).
>
> For reference: Windows boots without issue if I select it directly from
> the EFI boot selection menu.
>
> Might this have anything to do with hd0 being a Intel Matrix RAID
> volume? Perhaps the EFI equivalent of the OptionROM gets lost somewhere
> during the chainloading process?

It is likely related to the Intel Matrix RAID, but not for the reason
you guessed. I remember seeing a problem a while ago with Windows'
UEFI boot manager failing when there was memory pressure, and FakeRAID
often uses a lot of memory, with the additional memory used by grub
pushing it over the edge to where Windows' boot manager fails. There
was discussion about things that grub could do to work around this
problem, like freeing its memory (currently, like with most UEFI apps,
grub-efi can be returned to after chainloading if the chainloaded app
exits, which requires it to not free all its memory) I can't find any
bug report about it though, and I may be wrong (in either my memory or
my diagnosis) so please file a bug report (
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=grub ) with the
information you've provided here.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)