Re: recovering win7

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: recovering win7
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:31:18 -0700

On Jan 13, 2013, at 11:19 AM, Jake Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have personally "repaired" after Grub for Windows a few times.
>
> It's pretty quick and easy once booted into the repair disc. However, it
> takes an absurdly long time to boot into the repair disc.
>
> This is easy to fix. Worst-case scenario, you just zero-over the MBR with dd:
> "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=[the hard drive] count=1 bs=512", and re-install
> Windows.

He said he has backup disks only, he doesn't have an installer.

> Or, you can more directly boot Windows from Grub with the ntldr command.

You're really not paying attention to the OP's posts. He's already said he's
obliterated all partitions on the drive, and restored from 5 DVD backups disks.
Meaning he has no access to the grub *.mod files, including ntldr. What he had
was core.img, that's it, and that wouldn't have been enough to boot Windows
unless at the time core.img was created, both ntfs and ntldr were baked in.
Unlikely. So with the MBR boot code replaced he's now in a Windows restore and
recovery scenario.

My vague recollection of Windows backup and restore, the built-in one, was that
it only backed up 3rd party applications and user data, not the OS. The
expectation was that you reinstalled Windows, then restored from backup disks.

Chris Murphy