Re: Multi-boot multiple Windows O/Ses and Linux

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Multi-boot multiple Windows O/Ses and Linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 07:07:31 +0400

В Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:19:37 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Randy Decker <address@hidden> пишет:

> I know grub is great at multiple O/Ses but windows is anti-social toward
> other O/Ses.  My
> questions are:
> 1 Can grub2 handle both XP and 7 in one configuration along with Linux?

If you manage to install Windows 7 so that it has independent
bootloader - yes. But most likely you will end with grub loading
Windows bootloader which gives you choice between XP and 7.

> 2 If so, can it still be compatible with Ubuntu's update manager?
> 3 How would one approach the reconfiguration?

That's the question to ask on Windows forums primarily. Linux part is
really easy comparing with it :)

> 4 Will 4 partitions be sufficient?

You need at least one partition for each installed operating system.
Linux usually wants swap which has to go into separate partition.
Windows 7 will normally want to create MSR in addition to primary data
partition.

> 5 Will GRUB want a partition?

If you are going to use simple partitions without encryption, RAID or
volume managers - not really.

> 6 What would I need to be careful to avoid?

Blindly executing commands without understanding implications :)